University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- Associate Editor and Contributing Editor of the Michigan Law Review
University of Illinois, B.A., Economics, highest honors, 1995
Todd R. Plotner is a partner at Chapman and Cutler LLP focused on structured finance, securitization, and the restructuring of troubled transactions.
Todd is passionately committed to achieving collaborative solutions for clients' growth and long-term success. He is an effective strategist who solves complex financing challenges while efficiently coordinating teams to success in innovative financial transactions.
Todd's clients are operating companies, finance companies, commercial and investment banks, and a wide variety of other financial institutions.
Financed assets include peer-to-peer loans, railcars, intermodal shipping containers and chassis, aircraft, auto loans and leases, equipment leases, student loans, timeshares, structured settlements, commissions, trade receivables, residual interests, and other esoteric assets.
Todd is also experienced with leveraged equity investments, and warehouse financings for affordable housing, new markets tax credit, and community development projects.
Transportation Assets - Containers, Chassis, Railcars and Aircraft
- $1.6 billion structured finance facility for the acquisition of a $2.5 billion shipping container leasing company - representation of the joint lead arrangers, lead lenders, and administrative agent for a syndicate of twelve U.S., European, and Asian financial institutions
- $250 million securitization facility for railcars - representation of the agent and lead lenders
- $660 million bridge facility in connection with the acquisition of a shipping container chassis lessor - representation of the administrative agent and lenders
- Over $5 billion of shipping container ABS and warehouse facilities - representation of various banks, insurers, and investors
- Acquisition and securitization of various portfolios of shipping containers - representation of investment banks and commercial paper conduits
- $550 million leveraged lease of intermodal chassis - representation of an insurance company
- $285 million securitization of executive jet and corporate aircraft leases - representation of an insurance company
- $75 million vessel charter monetization transaction for the private placement investment market
- Acquisition and securitization of a portfolio of railroad rolling stock - representation of an insurance company
Peer-to-Peer Online Lending Finance
- $100 million structured finance revolving credit facility - representation of the issuer
- $100 million securitization note issuance - representation of the issuer
- $100 million negotiated purchase of portfolio of consumer loans - representation of the purchaser
- $40 million revolving credit facility - representation of the borrower
Automobiles and Equipment Leases
- $3 billion securitization of auto loans originated by one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the U.S. - representation of a syndicate of banks, agents and committed purchasers
- $1 billion securitization of auto leases originated by one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the U.S. - representation of a syndicate of banks, agent and committed purchasers
- $1.1 billion variable funding facility for automobile dealer floorplan financings - representation of a commercial paper conduit
- $1 billion note secured by a pool of auto leases originated by one of the largest automobile manufacturers in the U.S. - representation of an investment bank in note purchase
- $500 million auto loan securitization for a specialty finance company - representation of a commercial paper conduit
- $300 million securitization of residual interest certificates from a pool of outstanding equipment lease and loan securitizations - representation of a captive finance company
- Establishment of a titling trust for an auto finance company
- Revolving warehouse facilities for equipment lessors - representation of administrative agent and commercial paper conduits
- Representation of a privately-held student loan finance company in its warehouse funding transactions, auction rate securities and repurchase, redemption and tender offer options
- Monetization of residual interests held by privately-owned student loan finance company in multiple student loan ABS transactions
- Restructuring auction rate securities programs - representation of student loan lenders
- $300 million student loan warehouse facility financing FFELP and Private Loans - representation of the originator and issuer
- Over $2.5 billion of student loan warehouse facilities - representation of agents and various syndicates of commercial paper conduits
Commercial Paper Conduits and Trade Receivables
- $200 million trade receivables securitization - representation of originators and servicer
- Numerous trade receivables facilities - representation of administrative agent and commercial paper conduits
- Representation of a monoline insurer in connection with program-wide enhancement of two major bank commercial paper conduit programs
Restructuring, Workout and Bankruptcy
- Restructuring of a $30 billion warehouse, amortizing loan, revolving lease and amortizing lease facility for an automobile finance company - representation of a lender with a non-controlling investment
- Restructuring of a $13 billion warehouse and repurchase facility for a mortgage lender - representation of a lender with a non-controlling investment
- Workout of over $8.7 billion of Subprime Mortgage Backed Notes - representation of monoline insurer
- Workout of $250 million vehicle lease securitization - representation of lender and lead agent
- Workout of $250 million equipment lease securitization - representation of lender and lead agent
- Workout of $130 million market value collateralized loan obligation - representation of lender and administrative agent
- Bankruptcy of a technology and auto parts company - representation of the trade receivables securitization lead agent and investor
- Restructuring numerous securitization and structured finance transactions
Community Development, Charter School, Housing and Tax Credits
- $124 million leveraged equity investment involving new markets tax credits and community development loans - representation of the administrative agent and lead lender
- $36 million leveraged equity investment involving new markets tax credits and charter schools in California - representation of the administrative agent and lead lender
- $75 million leveraged equity investment involving new markets tax credits and community development loans - representation of the administrative agent and lead lender
- $45 million revolving warehouse line for charter school development and construction - representation of the lender
- $50 million revolving warehouse line and term facility for charter school development and construction - representation of the administrative agent and lead lender
- $75 million conduit structured for tax-exempt bond finance of charter school development and construction - representation of the lender
- Warehouse facilities for affordable housing and low-income tax credit syndicators - representation of the administrative agent and lead lender in numerous transactions
- Charter school finance revolving credit and term loans - representation of the agent and lead lender in multiple facilities
Honors & Awards
BTI Client Service All-Star - Based on independent interviews by BTI Consulting with general counsel and their direct reports at Fortune 1000 companies, this award recognizes lawyers who set the standard for client service excellence. Todd was the only securitization and structured finance attorney on the 2013 nationwide list.
Distinguished Eagle Scout (2015) - An award of the Boy Scouts of America for distinguished national and/or international service in one’s career and in community volunteer involvement for a period of at least 25 years after attaining the rank of Eagle Scout. Less then one-tenth of one percent of Eagle Scouts are recognized as Distinguished Eagle Scouts.
President's Lifetime Achievement Award for Volunteer Service (2015) - Awarded by the President of the United States through the Corporation for National and Community Service in recognition of cumulative hours of volunteer service to nonprofit community organizations.