DePaul University College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1985
- DePaul Law Review
Michigan State University, B.A., Public Policy, with honors, 1981
Structured Finance Industry Group
- Board Member
- Co-Chair of ABCP Committee
Institute of International Bankers
Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
American Bar Foundation
Cameron Kravitt Foundation
- Board Member
Gilda's Club Chicago
- Board Chair
Tim Mohan is the Chief Executive Partner of Chapman and Cutler LLP and is a partner in the Firm’s Banking and Financial Services Department and Asset Securitization Department.
Tim’s experience includes work in the banking, asset securitization and public finance areas. He has extensive experience in asset-backed commercial paper transactions, bank-financed securitization transactions, and financings involving municipal securities.
Tim regularly advises bank sponsors of commercial paper conduits on the structural, legal and regulatory issues affecting the set up and operation of these vehicles. He is a frequent speaker on the topics of asset-backed commercial paper, the securitization aspects of the risk-based capital and liquidity rules, and related bank regulatory issues.
Tim has worked on securitization transactions involving diverse asset classes including trade, credit card and auto loan and lease receivables, film distribution rights, aircraft leases, equipment leases, healthcare receivables, student loans, structured settlements and commercial loans.
Tim’s experience includes transactions involving Canadian, European and Asian asset sellers. He has also worked on credit enhancement transactions involving traditional municipal issuers, healthcare and educational institutions, student loan issuers and industrial companies.
Tim also has experience in traditional secured and unsecured bank lending and has acted as bond counsel and counsel to the underwriter and purchaser in transactions involving the issuance of tax-exempt bonds.
- Counsel to trade organizations in Dodd-Frank rulemaking advocacy relating to asset-backed commercial paper conduits, Volcker Rule, risk-based capital requirements, liquidity coverage ratio, net stable funding ratio, FDIC assessments, and large obligor exposures
- Counsel to the program manager of the $60 billion federal government-sponsored student loan conduit
- US counsel to the bank sponsor in the acquisition of over $20 billion of ABCP securitization transactions
- Co-Author, "Federal Banking Regulators Propose New Bank Holding Company Category System to Apply to Capital and Liquidity Requirements and to Enhanced Prudential Standards," The Banking Law Journal. March 2019.
- Co-Author, "Basel Committee Proposes Simple, Transparent and Comparable Securitization Framework for Short-Term Securitizations," Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. October 2017.
- Co-Author, "Desk Reference: Post-Financial Crisis Statutory and Regulatory Initiatives Affecting ABCP Conduits," Chapman and Cutler LLP. August 2017.
- Co-Author, "First Treasury Report on Financial Reform — Possible Securitization Impacts," Client Alert. June 14, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Financial CHOICE Act 2.0 'Discussion Draft' Released by House Financial Services Committee," Client Alert. May 2, 2017.
- Co-Author, "Financial CHOICE Act (H.R. 5983) as Guide to Possible Financial Regulatory Reform, Including 'Dodd-Frank Repeal,'" Pratt's Journal of Bankruptcy Law. February/March 2017.
- Co-Author, "The Federal Reserve Issues Final Rule Including Certain Municipal Obligations as HQLA," Real Estate Finance Journal. Spring/Summer 2016.
- Author, "Potential Impact of Proposed Federal Reserve Single Counterparty Credit Limits on Securitizations," Client Alert. April 22, 2016.
- Co-Author, "Desk Reference: Post-Financial Crisis Statutory and Regulatory Initiatives Affecting ABCP Conduits," Chapman and Cutler LLP. November 2015.
- Co-Author, "Liquidity Coverage Ratio Requirement Increases Cost of Securitization for U.S. Banks," The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2015.
- Co-Author, "SFIG Regulatory Briefing Book: Liquidity Coverage Ratio Final Rules," Structured Finance Industry Group. October 2014.
- Co-Author, "New Regulation YY Intermediate Holding Company Requirement and Enhanced Prudential Standards for Large Foreign Banking Operations in the U.S.," Client Alert. May 8, 2014.
- Co-Author, "ABCP 2.0: Short Term Structured Financing in the New Regulatory Environment," The Banking Law Journal. May 2013.
- Co-Author, "Basel 2.5 and Basel III: The Impact of the New Capital (and Liquidity) Rules on Securitization," The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2013.
- Co-Author, “Basel III and Regulatory Capital and Liquidity Requirements for Securitizations,” The Journal of Structured Finance. Winter 2012.
- Co-Author, “A Challenge for the Future: Issuing ABCP in the New Regulatory Environment,” The Journal of Structured Finance. Spring 2011.
- Co-Author, “Securitizations of Bank Assets: Impact of Bank Insolvencies and Related Issues,” The Journal of Bankruptcy Law. November 2009.